One of the biggest reasons my clients/friends/colleagues don’t fit in exercise is due to work commitments, which always surprises me. I still question whether people work longer hours now or whether it’s a case of time management.
Growing up, I was encouraged to work hard and in turn driven. My dad was already on the way to work at 5am daily and still hasn’t slowed down. My grandad worked until he was 80 years old and thrived off the pace of working. I must admit, I enjoy working and always look forward to going back after a rest whilst most people seem to dread it. Perhaps I’m lucky in the job I do or perhaps I have just accepted that working is part of life. Unless you embrace it or change it (if you are that unhappy) it’s a lot of wasted energy worrying about the next day.
Henry David Thoreau, sums this up beautifully.
The really efficient laborer will be found not to crowd his day with work, but will saunter to his task surrounded by a wide halo of ease and leisure. There will be a wide margin for relaxation to his day. He is only earnest to secure the kernels of time, and does not exaggerate the value of the husk. Why should the hen set all day? She can lay but one egg, and besides she will not have picked up materials for a new one. Those who work much do not work hard*
To read the full article: https://www.brainpickings.org/2015/02/10/thoreau-hard-work-efficiency/
My top 10 tips for fitting in exercise in your working week:
- Pick a time that bests suits you and fits into your schedule
- Prep is key
- Get your kit ready the night before
- Bag packed with all your essentials
- Caffeine boost at the ready
- 20-30 min lunch HIIT
- Block out 2 evenings per week which are 100% yours
- Be realistic with how many sessions you can fit in
- Take basic kit with you when travelling
- Resistance bands
- Skipping Rope
- Use online resources, Body Coach, Faisal, Body building.com
- Use Apps such as QE2
- Book to try out a new class with a friend (pre dinner and drinks)
- Get off a stop earlier and walk a little further
- Be active with your partner (sorry mum)
- How much time do you spend watching TV, on your phone looking through Social Networking. Reduce that time and I guarantee you will be able to fit in at least 2 sessions per week. Go on give it a go, target yourself to sweat at least 2-4 times per week!